Have you ever had a meal from a restaurant that was out of state only to be devastated that you don’t have that restaurant or a place like it back home. Well this has happened to me a time or two, but the most devastating time was this past summer when i went to Iowa to visit my family. My little sister was graduating High school, and i flew up to surprise her, with a lot of effort to keep everyone on the hush hush about my arrival, i would say that the surprise went over really well. The first night i was there they had ordered from a local pizzeria, and one of the pizza’s was Taco Pizza. I’ve heard of taco pizza at Taco Bell, but never a full pizza, that was taco pizza. We all know how much i love pizza, but this one took the cake, it was amazing. Full of flavor, and you get the pizza and the taco’s, and the Mexican flavors you would hope are in it.When i asked what the restaurant was i immediately looked to see if we had one home in Florida, and sadly we did not.
So the Adventure began.
After a moment or two i remembered that my sister used to work at this particular restaurant, and after a couple week of being home i texted her and asked how they made the pizza. She said “I just served the food i didn’t make it.” Well that was a bummer. The journey continued. After finding several recipes online, i finally narrowed it down to 3, and took what i liked best about each one, and created our new favorite Taco Tuesday dish. Taco Pizza!
If you’ve read my two previous post’s they will lead you to this exciting recipe I’m about to share with you.
You can find my homemade Re Fried Beans Here.
You can find my Homemade Taco Sauce Here.
And if you want to keep it Homemade you can find my quick and easy pizza dough Here (You can make this ahead of time to save you some time later on too. No more than a day in advance though.)
Don’t worry my feelings won’t be hurt if you buy everything from the store, i just have a bad habit of not making a grocery list, and always end up forgetting stuff. There are times i like to use store bought because of it’s convenience.
Here is what you need:
For your Pizza Sauce:
- 1 cup Re fried Beans (My Easy Re Fried beans)
- 1/4 Cup Taco Sauce (My Homemade Taco Sauce)
- 1/4 cup Pizza Sauce
For your Topping:
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 8oz mozzarella cheese
- 8oz Colby jack or Mexican blend cheese
- Shredded lettuce ( Pre shredded or you can shred yourself.)
- Taco Shells or Doritos upon if you prefer
- sour cream
- Taco Sauce
- Pizza Crust (If not making)
- Jalapenos (optional)
What to do:
- Making the Pizza Sauce:
- In a medium bowl mix together your refried beans, Taco sauce, and pizza sauce. Set aside for assembly.
- Cook Ground Beef until no longer pink, add in taco seasoning according to package.
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees F
- Top Dough with Pizza Sauce
- Top sauce with Mozzarella Cheese, then ground cooked ground beef, and finally Colby jack cheese.
- You should be able to make two pizza’s out of all the ingredients so make sure you save enough of each for pizza number 2.
- wipe down your baking sheet with olive oil, and dust on some flour to prevent sticking.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until dough is golden brown, and cheese is melted.
- Top your pizza or Pizza’s with desired toppings cut with a pizza cutter, serve and enjoy. We topped with shredded lettuce, taco shells, taco sauce. once served we topped with sour cream, and i topped with pickled Jalapenos
I sincerely hope that you enjoy this, i know my family did, and still does.
Let me know what you think, and what other toppings you added or what you tried differently. I’d love to hear how your family took to this change in Taco Tuesday’s.
Until next time.