French Toast. A classic Sunday morning breakfast. Sweet, and Savory. My cousin is headed to France in less than a month, and since she is staying with my i thought i might make her something with the word “French” in it. And i had a Hankering for French toast as well. Here below is the my take on french toast sticks, and i might say for the first time ever cooking french toast i didn’t do to bad. Here’s how it turned out.
Here’s what you need.
4 slices of Bread (Texas toast works best for sticks, but if you want to keep the bread whole, then regular bread will work just fine.)
2 Large eggs
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
Butter for your pan, and your favorite syrup. (While recently in Georgia, on family vacation, we stopped at Mercier Orchards, and let me tell you it was amazing. We found this syrup, and have fallen in love with it, i hope to soon be able to recreate this recipe, but for now i will have to horde what i have.)
Slice each piece of bread into fourths, to get your sticks.
You will need to make the custard. Add your eggs, cream, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix together well.
Then you will need to soak each piece into in custard. The Dryer the bread, the more custard it soaks up. Place your custard soaked bread onto a clean plate.
When all your bread has been soaked, place some butter into your frying pan, and turn onto medium heat. Once butter is melted, place 3-4 pieces of toast in at a time, and cook until golden brown, or 3-4 minutes each side.
When your done top with your favorite fruits, and your favorite syrup. Grab your fork and knife, and enjoy.
For a quick and easy to go idea, grab a solo cup or a small plastic washable cup, and place your syrup in the bottom, and add our french toast on top of the syrup, buckle the kids in the car and go.
Recipe thanks to Kelly at Just a Taste.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know your thoughts.
With love, until next time
- 4 slices of Bread (see notes)
- 2 Large eggs(see notes)
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Strawberries (or your favorite fruit)
- Favorite Syrup
- Cut each slice of bread into 4
- Mix together your eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla extract
- Soak each piece of bread into mixture, and set aside on designated plate, until all your bread is soaked.
- Place 1-2 teaspoons of butter, or 2 thin slices of stick butter into your pan and turn on medium heat. (see notes)
- place 3-4 slices in at a time, and cook 3-4 minutes, or golden brown.
- When done place on plate and top with strawberries, or favorite fruit, and syrup.